|Saturday, September 8, 2018||12:00 Noon||Registration Closes|
|Saturday, September 8, 2018||10:00 am – 1:00 pm||Kit Pick-Up – Fresh Air (710 Balmoral Street)|
|Sunday, September 9, 2018||8:00 am||Participant Check-in (Best Western Nor’wester)|
|9:00 am||100 km – Start Time|
|9:00 am||75 km – Start Time|
|9:00 am||75 km Gravel – Start Time|
|10:30 am||50 km – Start Time|
|2:00 pm||Aid Stations close|
|3:00 pm||Route Support ends|
|12:30 pm – 3:00 pm||Lunch|
|2:00 pm – 3:00 pm||Draws and Prizes|
|2:00 pm||Bike Draw (Must be in attendance to win)|
|3:00 pm||Event End|
On-course Aid Stations close at 2:00pm
Police will be present to assist riders onto Highway 61. This is a very busy road with vehicles traveling at +90 km/hr, so please be sensible and avoid traffic. Once you have crossed onto Highway 61, you are on your own to navigate safely and to obey all rules of the road.
The Caribou Charity Ride wants to include everyone who is capable of riding the course distance within the supported time frame (9:00am – 3:00pm). For some, this may require assistance. If you have need of ride support, please contact us in advance and we will make arrangements for your appointed support person.
General Ride Info
- Please have respect for residents living along the course.
- If nature calls, find a discreet location, not the neighbours’ bushes.
- Aid stations which include portable toilets are located along the routes.
- In case of emergencies, safety vehicles will follow the ride. They are not taxis. If you feel that you can’t complete your full distance, be sensible and turn around!
- The ride concludes where you started at the Best Western Nor’Wester Resort Hotel on Hwy 61.
- Showers and change rooms are available post-ride in the pool area of the Best Western Nor’Wester Resort Hotel.
- You must show your ride wrist band for entry.
- Lunch is included in your entry fee. Lunch will be served from 12:30pm to 3:30pm in the Kaministiqua Room at the Best Western Nor’Wester following the ride.
- Wrist band must be presented for lunch.
- A cash bar will be available. Should you decide to have a few après ride beverages, please don’t drink and ride or drink and drive.
Prize Draw Info
Trek Road Bike (event draw brought to you by Fresh Air)
All ballots for the Trek Road Bike (www.trekbikes.com) draw must be filled out and placed in the respective ballot boxes by 8:45 am Sunday September 9, 2018 for the 75km, 75km Gravel and 100 km participants and by 10:15 am Sunday September 9, 2018 for the 50 km participants. There will be a random draw for ten individual qualifiers from all events. You must be in attendance at the start of your respective distance entered in order to qualify if your name is drawn. The final winner will be selected from the ten qualifiers via a reverse draw starting at 2:00pm on Sunday, September 9, 2018. Qualifiers must be in attendance to win.
Important Safety Information
- CPSC, ANSI or Snell certified helmets must be worn when riding.
- All equipment should be in good working order. Remember, you will be traveling between 50 and 100 km.
- This is not a closed course: you are sharing the roadway with other vehicles. You must observe and obey the Ontario Highway Traffic Act at all times.
- Avoid the dreaded bonk. Take water or a sports drink and a small snack with you. As you fatigue, you need to rehydrate and refuel to function and think clearly. Take the time to stop at the aid stations for a rest and a visit.
- Be aware of the dangers of intersections along the course, even if you do have the Right of Way.
- Stay as close to the right-hand side of the roadway as possible and do not ride more than two abreast.
- Slower paced riders should keep to the right to allow faster paced riders to pass on their left.
- Do not cross the yellow line on any road at any time.
- Be aware of your actions as they may compromise the safety of the other participants.